Malachi 1 - Respect and Honor God

Setting – The Lord rebukes Israel’s offerings to Him

Content – God reminds Israel that He loves them (v. 1 NLT) “I have loved you deeply," says the LORD. But you retort, "Really? How have you loved us?" And the LORD replies, "I showed my love for you by loving your ancestor Jacob.” God remained faithful to his promise to Jacob (v. 1b-2 NLT) Yet Esau was Jacob's brother, and I rejected Esau and devastated his hill country. I turned Esau's inheritance into a desert for jackals.” God will keep His promise of being angry with Esau’s descendants (v. 4 NLT) “They may try to rebuild, but I will demolish them again! Their country will be known as `The Land of Wickedness,' and their people will be called `The People with Whom the LORD Is Forever Angry.”
God then challenges the priest regarding their sacrifice (v. 6 NLT) “The LORD Almighty says to the priests: "A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. I am your father and master, but where are the honor and respect I deserve? You have despised my name! "But you ask, `How have we ever despised your name?'” They despised His name by bringing defiled animals (v. 7a NLT) “You have despised my name by offering defiled sacrifices on my altar.” And (v. 8a NLT) “When you give blind animals as sacrifices, isn't that wrong?” God further supports His reason for the rebuke (v. 8b NLT) “Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!” God is plainly stating that He is not pleased with them (v. 10b NLT) “I am not at all pleased with you," says the LORD Almighty, "and I will not accept your offerings.” God states that there are others that are pleasing to Him (v. 11 NLT) “But my name is honored by people of other nations from morning till night. All around the world they offer sweet incense and pure offerings in honor of my name. For my name is great among the nations”. God summarizes His case (v. 14 NLT) “Cursed is the cheat who promises to give a fine ram from his flock but then sacrifices a defective one to the Lord. For I am a great king," says the LORD Almighty, "and my name is feared among the nations!”

Application – Israel was to bring unblemished, perfect sacrifices to God. They chose not to do this and in doing so, dishonored God and their commitment to Him (v. 13 NLT) “Think of it! Animals that are stolen and mutilated, crippled and sick--presented as offerings! Should I accept from you such offerings as these?" asks the LORD.”
What do we bring to God? What type of honor does our life give to God? We know that we are imperfect sacrifices, but where is our heart toward God? Do we give half-hearted honor to God?
I feel that I give God my leftovers at times. God doesn’t always take first priority in my day and in this, I dishonor God. I must remember that God is “a great king…and my name is feared among the nations!” As God has stated, “A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master. I am your father and master, but where are the honor and respect I deserve?” The question then is, during my day, where is God’s respect and honor that He deserves?

Comments