Getting Dad's Approval

Really, it's pretty simple if you think about it. I'm the dad of the girl you want to date. If you're thinking beyond dating, then I just might be your future father-in-law. That should establish a simple, but foundational rule: you need, and should want, my approval. No matter if my daughter is still living in my house, or fully grown up and on her own, I will forever be her dad.

So, with that in mind and to reiterate, you want to gain my approval. This is a simple process, do what I want. I'll advise you ahead of time, you won't like my rules, they are restrictive. Let me help you understand why. One fact, I'm a man who was once a boy and who liked girls, so I know what you're made of. This isn't to say you're some sinful creature trying to taint my daughter; that's not fully the idea (although it does play into my thinking), but the fact is, I was once in your shoes. My daughter is awesome and, like my wife, she is the most precious thing in my life. Since she is as precious as my wife, you need to treat her as you would treat my wife; and trust me, if you hurt my wife...well, I leave the consequences to your imagination.

I need to admit, I didn't follow my thinking when I was dating my wife, due to the fact that no one advised me of the information above. If they had, I would have seen things in a far better view.

Another thing if you want to date my daughter, you are dating the family. Stated another way, you date the family and the daughter is part of the deal. You can't get around this one. We are a family, and always will be. If this is to be a lasting relationship, you will end up spending a lot of time with us (holidays, birthdays, etc.).

Now let's get to some specific examples to help you understand my restrictive rules. When I ask that you limit contact with my daughter to once a week and then you don't, you are saying, "I don't care to follow your rules". Strike one. Anytime you say in your mind, or by your actions, you don't care or disagree with my rules, you have said, "I'm choosing to not respect your rules". When I ask that you don't touch my daughter and you succumb to touching, strike two. Remember the idea that you need to treat my daughter like you would treat my wife? Now don't get stupid and say, "Are you saying that I need to picture dating your wife"? If you are that stupid, you forfeit!

Rule 1:  Stupid guys aren't allowed to date my daughter.

Let me throw you a curve-ball...you're smart and you support my rules, but my daughter opts to contact you more than once a week or passes the allowed touching line - what's the right answer? If you answer "Follow your daughter's lead because she might know that it's ok". Nope, stupid answer. Please refer to Rule 1 for your door prize.

Now, let's turn the tables. How do you want a boy to treat your daughter? A lot of guys would be quick to say, "Not with the strict rules that you are setting". Boy, I can't wait when you're a dad to a daughter and I get to serve you up those words on a gold platter for you to eat! 

There's a unique relationships between a dad and daughter. A dad gains a new perspective when raising a daughter than he had before. The new perspective of protection is just one of the main other characteristics that is gain. The picture of the dad on the porch cleaning his gun should paint this picture well.

Let me quickly summarize for you - my daughter, my rules. And when she is old enough to make her own rules about who she wants to date, keep in mind that if you make it far enough to marry my daughter and you don't sit well with me, you won't sit well with me for a long time.

Oh, another thing to think about, in reality she's not my daughter per se, she's God's, and He put me in charge of her while I'm on earth. I'm accountable to God on how I raised, protected, loved, and guided my daughter. In reality, I'm only the messenger. It's bad enough to deal with a dad, but remember Hebrews 10:31, "It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Comments