Malachi 2:1-9 - We are the new covenant priests

Setting – God rebukes the Levite priests

Content – God is ready to discipline the priests unless they repent (v. 2b NLT) “Honor my name," says the LORD Almighty, "or I will bring a terrible curse against you. I will curse even the blessings you receive.” What they needed to do was to (v. 2a NLT) “Listen to me and take it to heart.” And (v. 2b NLT) “Honor my name” Why would the Lord curse them (v. 4 NLT) “Then at last you will know it was I who sent you this warning so that my covenant with the Levites may continue”, so that His covenant will remain and His commands will remain with the Levites. What was the purpose of the covenant (v. 5-7 NLT)?
- To bring life and peace - “The purpose of my covenant with the Levites was to bring life and peace, and this is what I gave them.”
- That they revere God – “This called for reverence from them, and they greatly revered me and stood in awe of my name.”
- That they communicate what the Lord tells them to the people - “They passed on to the people all the truth they received from me.”
- They are to live righteous lives – “did not lie or cheat; they walked with me, living good and righteous lives,”
- And to turn others to live righteously also – “and they turned many from lives of sin”
- They are to preserve knowledge – “The priests' lips should guard knowledge,”
- Be the ones people look to for instruction – “and people should go to them for instruction,”
- Be the messengers from God – “for the priests are the messengers of the LORD Almighty”
They missed the mark of doing this (v. 8 NLT) “But not you! You have left God's paths. Your `guidance' has caused many to stumble into sin. You have corrupted the covenant I made with the Levites," says the LORD Almighty” God disciplined them (v. 9 NLT) “So I have made you despised and humiliated in the eyes of all the people. For you have not obeyed me but have shown partiality in your interpretation of the law”

Application – The Levites were set apart to be the keepers of the covenant. They were to be the ones who passed God’s commands to the people. They were to be examples of how to live godly lives. They were the ones to pass on to the people all the truth they received from Him. We are the new covenant priests (Hebrews 10:19-20 NASB) “Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh” We have the same responsibilities of communicating God’s word to others, to living holy lives to bring life and peace, revere God, not lie or cheat, walk with God, to live good and righteous lives, turn others from sin, etc. Because “the priests are the messengers of the LORD Almighty”
This is an honor to be given this responsibility, let us take it seriously, with honor and gratitude.

Comments